I Believe in the Perfection of Nature

Blake - 87106, New Mexico

Civilizations prosper and perish like tides in the ocean of mankind’s existence. Nature on the other hand has prospered for millions of years and continues to do so despite the problems humans have caused. Many people today are locked into their modern consumer lifestyle, but I can never forget about the natural world and never forget that I believe in the perfection of nature.

I have had a unique connection with nature since I was I young child. I spent my youth wallowing in puddles and streams for how hours on end, the wetness and cold sensations overwhelmed by the feelings of adventure and excitement. I was too young to understand the complexity of my love for nature, but still knew that it was a special entity, unlike anything I had seen in the cities and towns of my home.

I credit a portion of my love for nature to my father. He also shared this love for the wilderness and built I cabin in the outskirts of Alaska when I was about twelve years old. Since then I had ventured up there every summer, spending weeks exploring the towering mountings, raging river of silt and snowmelt, and enormous glaciers caving into the ocean with such force it sends giant waves breaking at my shoes hundreds of feet away at the shore.

As I grew older, I began to understand my true appreciation for nature. How it has evolved over millions of years, adjusting itself to the landscape and its inhabitants. This has left it in a state of supreme balance and perfection. The animals and plants all have their uniquely important position in the chain of life.

I peer down the steep cliff desperately seeking to find a bump, protrusion, crater or crack, anything that I can place my foot on. I small hole lies where the rock crumbled abruptly from below my leg, which is now dangling high above the earth. There are no ropes to hold me in place and the only thing to help stop my fall is the light layer of earth easily displaceable atmosphere. The wind blows and I think of how it might feel to fall. Lose all contact with the earth, gracefully tumbling through cactus and jagged rocks, then over another freefall, eventually landing at my final destination some two hundred feet below from where I now hang. If this is where it was going to end so be it, I couldn’t think of a more beautiful spot spend the last few minutes of my life. I’m surrounded by a vast array of mountains, each one larger than any building ever created by man. The landscape is covered in a perfectly balanced arrangement of fresh, vibrantly green pine trees, which fill the air with a sent that makes me want to savor every breath I take.

My foot finds the place it’s been searching for and I strain every muscle in my body to pull myself up the final five feet. I now sit atop the earth high above the tree line. This is as good as it gets for me, giving me a surreal feeling of peace and satisfaction. This is what I risk my life for, this feeling of perfection with the world and myself. No corruption, no violence, no anger, or greed, only pure nature in all its perfection.