This I believe: Heaven adn Hell

Michael - overland park, Kansas

I believe that Heaven and Hell are a state of mind, and not a real place as some people may think. Many times I have thought about how when you die, do you go to heaven, hell or purgatory. This really makes me think, the fact that most people think heaven is a place. I will share with you when and why I have come this conclusion.

Last summer I was at Camp Tekiwetha (Catholic Camp), and our group talk was discussion on church mysteries . And the one enigma that had always eaten away at me, is what does the church believe about Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. The seminarian seemed to know a lot about my question. He said something along these lines, “ God existed before He made the Earth, and how could he make the universe unless he was there previously?”

So I replied “Basically your saying that Heaven isn’t a real place it is a state of mind, because God cant just be floating around some where?

“Yes,” he explained, “ We are scared of Hell because we are made to, but really Hell is basically life without God.Living without God is life without happiness.For that reason we are scared.Everything in our life is through God,and if we didn’t have the chance of Him in our life, then there is nothing we can find to satisfy it.”

For this reason, I got the point that God is the source of all happiness on earth, but then what happens in Purgatory, life without God, or is it a lack of God in our life, but knowing He is still there. So I asked, “What happens and what is Purgatory?”

Purgatory is a state of mind, but it is also self discovery. Realizing that we may not have lived a good enough life. However God the master of the universe has decided to yet again give you another chance.” So I sat in awe, the rest of my group silent, and someone asks, “ Then how do we get to Heaven, if we have to live such great lives?”

Well, you have to look on towards Heaven; and realize that there is something better, you might not know when you will arrive, where it is, or what is waiting for you there. You need to persist so you can be with your Lord and be happy, for all eternity!”

This is the basis to what I believe as a Catholic, and my own being.