Freshmen Retreat

Kayla - Lenexa, Kansas

Freshmen Retreat

My belief story is probably a little different than most. I don’t have a miraculous story that caused me to know God is always there. This has just been something I’d always known and believed in. There has never really been a time where I questioned my faith in God. Sure there were those times I wasn’t very close to him, but I never doubted His existence. There have been many times where I felt closest to God though. For example, the freshmen retreat in November was so wonderful. I could feel Him there with me the whole time, leading me closer to my classmates and to Him. My whole experience on the retreat helped me build stronger relationships, and my belief in God became greater than ever.

Every moment there I enjoyed. God was definitely there, and he brought our class closer together. Girl bonding time was one of the most fun. Everyone felt open like they could talk about anything with anyone. Another time I felt close to all my classmates as a whole was at the talent show. This was probably my favorite part of the night. Some people were even brave enough to get up there in front of the whole class and perform. We were all so supportive of each other and encouraging. I loved the feeling that we’re all in this together.

More importantly, I grew incredibly close to God that night. Adoration was probably my most favorite part of the whole retreat. It was life changing for me. I had never been able to connect to God like that before. I mean, I’ve always just believed a in Him but I’d never felt close to Him like I did that night. That was a very emotional night for me. In Adoration, I cried my eyes out. I could actually feel His presence in the room; it kind of scared me in a good way. It was all almost too much for me, and I couldn’t keep from crying. During this time, I thought of things I could do to show my parents how much I love them, and make them proud. God made me come to realization about some things. After Adoration came another memorable experience for me. My friend Danielle and I talked that night about basically everything. I felt like I could tell her anything. We talked about our Adoration experiences. We also talked about our faith together which was really cool. I’ve never been able to talk to someone like that. I am so thankful and blessed that God has given me such great friends in my life.

Now, I always know God is with me. I rely on Him more and more everyday and trust him with my life. My whole experience on the retreat really helped me grow closer to Him. Those two days were some I will always remember.