Losing the Shy Kid

Katie - Northfield, Minnesota

I’ve always been a bit less outgoing than the average person. In other words, I was shy. I believe in getting out of the corner. It’s so much more fun to be interactive with people and it makes life so much less boring. Times that really affected me were when I was in preschool, when I first started dance, and just how I am now.

I remember almost everything about preschool; coloring, duck-duck-grey-duck, and playing house. One thing I really can’t remember at all is talking. I was probably overwhelmed with all the kids that I never knew before. I wasn’t used to the environment of a school: it was probably intimidating. I’m sure my teacher was worried, or something because I never said one word. But the thing is, I just don’t remember caring about not talking. As I got older though, I did start caring more.

I think the thing that really turned me around was when I started dance. I started in fifth grade, and it was a big step for me in terms of being outgoing. I believe people have to break out of their shells and do something that interests them, even if it’s hard. I’m not exactly sure what made me break out of my shell, all I know is I just felt like I really wanted to dance so I went for it. I started dance not knowing anyone, but I soon learned it didn’t matter because I made new friends with people who shared my love of dance. That little burst of confidence has helped me today. I never would have been in dance if I hadn’t done that, and I may never have gotten even halfway over my shyness.

Today I still have my shy moments, but I do try my very best to be outgoing. I’ve learned with experience that it pays off. Even if I don’t necessarily have to start a conversation, I’ll say hi and maybe something little. I think that if someone isn’t your friend, that’s an especially good thing to do because it’s always nice to have more friends. This year I’d say I’m the least shy I’ve ever been. I think high school has made a difference. I don’t know why, maybe its being in a more grown up school or just growing out of it.

You never know when being outgoing could help you in the long run, but being that way ensures it will help at some point. My step of being outgoing and joining dance helped me. I don’t want to live my life all shy, not interacting with others. This is why I believe in getting out of the corner.