Get Drenched in a Thunderstorm

Rachel - Northfield, Minnesota

I believe in standing in the rain. Letting yourself get drenched in a thunderstorm. Feeling the cold, wet grass squish beneath your feet and between your toes. Letting your clothes get completely soaked. Not caring what you look like or how foolish you  may be acting. Having the rain wash away all the stress and worries of your life. Being free to forget everything for a moment.

There are days where I get caught up in all the worries and stresses of life. Whether it is the economic struggles of today, the war, school, sports, friends, family, or whatever it is I have going on in my life. I often find myself stressing out over small things on top of that. I’ll be up till midnight just to finish all my homework. I won’t get home till eight and have to start all my homework and other various tasks right away, only taking breaks for food and a shower. I forget to take even ten minutes just to relax.        

There are weeks and days in my life were I’m extremely stressed out. Times where there is so much going on that my mind gets in a daze and I can’t think. I become extremely irritable and paranoid at these times. I’m constantly zoned out. My mind is so fogged with the thoughts of the week and the work that must be done. During classes I will tend to zone out, due to my consent thinking, which stresses me out even more, seeing I’ve no idea what’s going on.  The bell chimes at the end of the school day and I hurry off to my locker. I grab my sports gear and go to that. Getting home late and having to start all my homework right away, barely getting a chance to sit down and take a breather. My worries and stresses begin to engulf me and I pray for time to relax.

When I hear the tapping of the rain on my window, the soul reminder that I need to just relax and take a breather. Even if its just ten minutes of my night. I’ll drop everything I’m doing, and run outside into the pouring rain. Arm spread out wide, I let myself go and be taken away with the storm. Every raindrop that touches my skin, is another ounce of stress removed from my system. My spirit runs free. The whole stress of the night seems to just leave me. The thunder shakes the worries away.

One of the most important things to remember is that we all need time to relax, even in the most stressful times. Take the time out of your day for you. Kick of your shoes and put your feet up. Stand in the rain and get drenched in a thunderstorm.