Don’t Sweat It

Jennifer - Northfield, Minnesota

In my opinion, beliefs are important and they are something I strongly live by. I have many beliefs. But one that I am most passionate about is: that life goes on, no matter what happens. And being nervous doesn’t solve anything, you’ll still have to do it.

A lot of people (including myself) put stress on themselves and get incredibly nervous for things. For example; last year (8th grade) we had to create a speech and present it. When I found out that we had to give a speech I got incredibly nervous even though it was far in the future. The teachers told us not to worry, and that it was really fun. I thought how can that be fun? But right after they mentioned that we had to give a speech, I got a huge pit in my stomach. And I’d think about how I had to give a three minute speech. The day rolled around that I had to present my speech to the class; I was even more nervous then I expected. I took a deep breath and began to speak. I didn’t even realize how after I calmed down how easy and fun it really was. I actually enjoyed it! I wouldn’t mind if we had to do another one if we had to! After that day I realized how silly it was to get so nervous! It was just a waste of my time when I could have been doing something better. Instead of worrying I could have just started to prepare myself. When something bad happens to you just remember, that it could be a lot worse. Even if I would have made a mistake, it wouldn’t have mattered. Everyone would forget about it after a few hours. This is my suggestion to other people who get nervous: what’s the worst that can happen? Just relax, take a deep breath and don’t sweat it! It will be ok!

I think this is a very important belief. I use it everyday especially in school. It makes me feel a lot better and I don’t feel as nervous! I use my belief to encourage others not to get so nervous. From my own experience I know how terrifying it is. I know it’s really hard not to but if you concentrate really hard, you will forget there is even an audience! It may work for you! It does for me.