One Man Can Change The World

Adam - Sandy, Utah

Presently there are many corruptions and awful things happening everyday in the world. People in Sudan, Africa have to risk getting kidnapped by mafias’ daily each time they leave their refugee camps to find food and water for their families in order to survive. Everybody has so many of their own problems they don’t have time or energy to worry about other people outside of their comfort zone. The world’s humanities depend on people looking out for each other. When we can put ourselves aside and help others we make this world a better place to live, even if we are only helping a minor problem, by doing so we could encourage others to help.

One of the greatest people I have ever met helps run a support group that I go to every week. He has around Thirty-Seven diseases quite possibly more than anyone alive in the world today, doctors can’t figure out how he still lives. I believe that his willingness to help others is giving him the health and strength needed to stay alive. Last week he mentioned a new disease that he had, and mentioned that he had to undergo chemotherapy all week, he mentioned that he don’t expect to live much longer. I was amazed that he came to group after going through such a devastating time, and I was inspired me to write about him.

Even though this man has hardly any strength in his body he can do amazing things with his mind, and he uses this gift to help others. For example, every week he is able to memorize everyone’s name without writing them down, no matter how many people there are in the group, and when he talks he sounds educated enough to do brain surgery. Just the thought of him putting forth the effort to memorize my name makes me feel appreciated and good about myself. He would often mention stories from when he volunteered at the jail each week that inspire me as well.

What this man does might not seem like it will make a difference in the world today, but by going out of his comfort zone to help others, he inspires other people to go out of theirs. The effects of this one mans effort is so tremendous it could very well help change the world and help many people live a better life. The humanities in our world depend on efforts to help others, what good is our freedom if other people lose theirs, and I say freedom as a way of life. Freedom is the way we choose, the way we get to live life without having to worry about what we’re going to eat next, where we are going to live, or how we are going to survive these hard times. To help make this world a better place to live the choice is simple, we must go out of our comfort zone when we have an opportunity to help somebody. What a great reward it would be to finish our day or even our life knowing that we have helped make a difference.