Derrick - Shawnee, Kansas

I believe in God. There have been many times where I felt that God is with me. I really remember the ones where it was more suffering than happiness. The time where I felt God was really with me was when I was in the hospital in second grade and got out right before First Communion.

I was in the hospital for nine days because my appendix bursted right before I had surgery to get it removed. When I was in there, I had an allergic reaction to a couple different medicines. Each allergic reaction was worse than the one before, and they finally got the right medicine. My family was really worried about me because I was in the hospital for so long and my little cousin, Joey, went to the hospital the same day I did for open heart surgery. He got out of a couple days before I did. That had to be the worst nine days of my life. After I was finally out, I had to go to my First Communion.

My First Communion was the day after I got out of the hospital. It was really hard for me to get through because I wasn’t feeling well. That was a very long night. When I got to St. Joe, the teachers had to tell me where I walked since I missed all of the practice times since I was in the hospital. I could barely get through the night because I felt nauseous just about the whole time. All of the smiling for the pictures afterward didn’t make me feel any better either. The only thing that did was make me want to sit down and go home.

I really felt that God was with me during that time. I know that all of my friends and family were praying for me and that helped me get better for First Communion. I knew that God would let me be there for First Communion. God helped me get through it even though it was tough for me and my family.