Emily - Sandy, Utah

Family is the greatest thing

My parents didn’t start off the normal way. My mom was 21 and my dad was 19 when the doctor told them they were in love whether they wanted to be or not. Most people would have stopped there, but my parents wanted a big family so they had 3 more kids after my oldest sister. My mom had 4 kids within 6 years! Being the youngest of the four I have done more and experienced more than the other three, which has its advantages and its disadvantages. “I was the spoiled child” is what the others claimed, but I had to watch them move away so I think it’s justified. My very favorite memories when I was young were when my family would go on a vacation. We never went to Hawaii or on a cruise, we usually went somewhere where its cold in the morning, usually camping, fishing and hiking. I never knew any different so I didn’t mind. I loved going hiking and because this is when my mom would pull out the good snacks like beef jerky, granola bars and fruit snacks. We would load our packs full and be gone most of the day. We sometimes would do night hikes that were always way fun like the one we went to arches and watched the solar eclipse. Although friends are fun and you can do many things with them, family makes things more exciting to share theses memories with plus you can make life exciting and get in a good fight like the ones we used to get in and pull hemans head off and then my brother in response would pull barbies head off or one of my babies. The only problem with this was my parents would send us off on a meaningless chore and say, “if your bored we will find you something to do.” I think the funniest memory I have is the one of my dad inventing a butt kick that I could not escape from. He called it the ponytail butt kick. He would hold my ponytail so I could not run away and kick my butt and then say misbehave again and it will happen again. This usually happened once a week and usually at church. The walk back in was worse than the butt kick with all my friends staring at me. I love my memories that I share with my family I would never want to change them. If any thing now that I have started my own little family I hope that I can create similar memories for them.