Universal Freedom

Nicholas - USA

In 1941 Franklin D Roosevelt addressed the members of the 77th congress in his state of the Union Address. In that address he states that there are four essential Human freedoms: Freedom of speech, freedom to worship, freedom from want, and the freedom from fear (Roosevelt p.702). This was something that President Roosevelt felt was universal; something that all humans had a right to. This I believe that freedoms do not have a border or nationality, but are resigned to all humans god created on this earth.

Several years ago I got to know a man from Mexico that was working here in America. We were both working as landscapers that would dig trenches to put sprinklers in. To do this we would use a trenching machine that they called a Ditch Witch. This thing looked like a supped up chainsaw that would cut through the ground digging trenches. As we were digging one of the many trenches for our sprinkler lines, the ditch witch just stopped. A large rock had wedged itself in the chain. Juan went over to fix it and he could see the issue. He turned off the machine to be safe and then he reached in to knock the rock loose. He stared hitting the rock with a smaller rock but it was not moving. He then sat down and cocked his leg back and with one big kick the rock fell out. Just then the chain lurched forward from the tension that was stored in. It grabbed his foot like a bear trap and held it there. It took some time but his foot was freed. We rushed him to the hospital where we thought that he would get the care he needed. He had a broken foot and would need lots of stitches. But when the hospital found out that he did not have any insurance they tried to play down the injuries. They felt that could just wrap it in bandages and send him on his way. When our foreman pressed the issue and tried to get the hospital to fix his foot properly, they said that they would send someone in to take care of him. Several hours went by and no one came in to help. After being there for 3 hours with little help some police officers showed up in the room to take Juan back to his country. Apparently he had been here illegally. That was the last time we saw Juan.

Was this right? Just because this man was not born within the borders of our country he was not entitled to the same freedoms. Do universal freedoms only blanket this land and all that are from here. A person in America is the same as a person in Mexico, and a person in Mexico is the same as a person in Afghanistan. I believe that if we feel that we are entitled to certain rights we should feel that all people are entitled to those same rights.