Believing for the unexpected

Jakeb - Rapid City, South Dakota

Life is short, yet long if you do it right. I believe that life is all about choices you are given, and whatever life you want will be the way you go about those choices. The choices you make sometimes come with stories like a small poem.

I believe that if you go about life with a state of mind to never fail; 95% of the time you will get what you want. Although sometimes things do not go your way. Some may happen for a reason, some may happen, because the other person wanted it more then you.

When I was in Indianapolis, Indiana we had the chance to go to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. We were on ESPN and all I wanted to do was win that one game. I was feeling so pumped and sure we had the advantage, I could see my teammates were tired as a bear during hibernation season. I had a lions heart and was ready for aluminum and some leather to have a date over the center field fence. We had lost to this team already and it was starting to look like a David and Goliath situation.

We jogged onto the field with our cleats growing wings, a heart, and claws. We were ready to run all over the other team. We saw them with wooden smiles acting like they didn’t care. We began to play, they went up four to zero in the first inning. I had a foreboding from there first hit they had. The next inning we scored three, so it was four to three. Then they came alive and ended up winning thirteen to seven or eight. Right as that last inning ended and I knew we had lost, my heart was a brick. There was nothing I could do at that point to rebuild my confidence. I felt empty as a business on Sunday. So our 19 hour ride home was long and excruciating. I put all of it behind me and tried to remember the good parts of the trip.

A lot of the time the things you really want more than anything, slip through our grasp in an instant without us realizing it. That is why I try to live without not realizing it going right past me. I strive to do the best thing for my family and me. That is the way I live my life.