Role Model

Ellen - Shawnee, Kansas
Themes: family, hope, legacy

Has anyone or anything inspired you? I can’t really think of anything I’ve done that’s inspired anyone. A person that has inspired me is my grandmother. Although her life has recently come to an end, her spirit still lives in me. During her life, my grandma had incredible faith in God, experienced pain, and was very loving. She taught me the importance of strength of character, and to never give up hope no matter how difficult things may seem.

I don’t know much about her early years, but from what I heard she was a devote Catholic all her life. Even when it got physically difficult for her to get to mass, she still went every Sunday. It was easy to tell that my grandparents believed in God. They had religious statues and pictures all over their apartment. When she was incapacitated she enjoyed praying to God for strength and for her loved ones.

“Love-filled” would definitely describe my grandmother. Her love for others seemed never ending. I would probably be correct in saying that she loved and cared for others more than herself. After visiting her, it would be impossible to leave without her giving some sort of gift to you. Sometimes it was food,clothing, or even a vacuum. It hurts me to think that someone so loving would have to endure so much pain.

Considering the misery she had go through, she kept fighting (most likely for the sake of her family). She’s been on the brink of death many times but always seemed to come bouncing back. Not only did she endure physical pain, she endured mental pain as well. One of her seven sons pass away a couple years ago, which caused her much heartache. She never gave in to pain and kept going as long as she could. She taught us

Grandma Ree was a very faith-filled, strong, and loving individual. She believed in God even though she went through hard times. Mental and physical agony never brought her down. She believed in and loved everyone she met. This person’s life is the one that I’d most want to model my life after.