I believe…

Marco - worcester, Massachusetts

I believe in taking it easy. People lead frantic lives or just get caught up in following them. Especially for college, things like balancing grades and school work, attendance, a job, family, and a social life, to that perfect harmony can seem extremely overwhelming, but I don’t let it get to me as much as others.

Since I was a kid I’ve had my “elders” tell me what I should and should not do in my life. At family gatherings the adults always would complain about what they should have done with their lives rather than being happy with their life as it was at the time. I took to heart the one thing I’d hear the majority of the time: Live what you Love and Love what you Live, was the basis of what I’d hear. I’ve gotten fair enough warning as an 8-year-old to realize that life is too short and too precious to waste on obeying unsatisfying jobs, worries in the media, and simple everyday stresses like being a slave to ridiculous time schedules.

I’ve known too many people who have their parents live through their kids by basically guilt tripping them into being the best of the best student and worker, which in result turns the kid into a victim to society and a workhorse rather than being their own person. Rather than being chattel, I decided that taking it easy and doing what I choose when I want is how I’m going to live; I’m not trying to make it out that I’m a delinquent, just that I don’t let people boss me around. Even though I had parents who told me what to do, my mother would always contradict herself by encouraging me to stand up for myself and live by my own word – not others’. She’d be the one who’d tell me, “Why are you following what ‘John’ wants to do? You don’t have to do that; go do something else. Who cares if he wants to do what you do or not.”

I’ve learned by not being a laborer to anyone else and living my life at my own pace has caused me to be more easygoing and accomplish things with more creativity than usual. I’m not the kind of person that works better under time restraints, but rather with as much time as I need. My art teacher from high school noticed I’d do better on my projects when I used more time than assigned. One of my best paintings came from the result of me moving at my own pace. On a larger scale, I believe that by living at my own pace allows me to fill up my life with more detail, a stronger lifestyle, and better memories than it would be if I were to waste my life worrying and stressing myself with deadlines, fear, and critiques by others; I just don’t see the need when life is too short to spoil my time.