The Faith in my Laugh

Sara - Northfield, Minnesota

“At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities” Jean Houston.

Hanging out with someone I love puts the world into a whole new perspective, suddenly I’m invincible and crazy. I can do anything and it’s all easier now; smiling, happiness, and especially laughing. My favorite part is that perfect feeling I get when I laugh that bubbles up inside of you and says, ” Yep, this is how it was meant to be.” Well I believe in that feeling, the invincibility, and I definitely believe in the craziness, but my biggest believe is in my laugh.

There are so many times in my life that I felt like crying and chose to laugh, not because I was hiding from my emotions, but because that’s how strong a laugh can be. It can instantly lift me out of a bad mood and can give me the strength to go on. I have always been a shy person but this year I discovered my laugh while running in cross-country. How can you learn to laugh when you’re covered in sweat and running yourself dead you ask? Its because when I gave up the idea that I wasn’t good enough to do this or talented enough for that, I had fun knowing I was good enough to be happy.

I used to spend hours looking in a mirror to practice a smile before school pictures or a holiday, when I could count on my mom’s camera being fused to her arm, taking photo after photo. I was never satisfied with those pictures until they were hidden away in a box, but now I don’t practice my smile, and my laugh is as natural for me to hear. It’s got a powerful tone to it and its as good as any song to me. Every laugh is as unique as the person who delivers it and for me I wouldn’t change a thing about mine. I like to think that when you laugh the sound floats up into the air, each note different from the last, and they settle up in the sky as stars. So sometimes when I feel down I can look to the stars and see them winking at me as we share a special memory of a laugh and that feeling of faith in myself and my laugh comes back to give me strength.