How to Love

Annika - Northfield, Minnesota

People may think I’ve never been in love, and in their mind they are probably right. To me they are wrong. I’m in love with my family, because they make me who I am.

I believe in spending time with my family. My favorite family memories are ones that I never would have known at the time that I would treasure. They all have something in common; I remember feeling an unexplainable joy. One memory is of my sister, my parents, our exchange student from Korea, and me all playing a card game. Cards were flying everywhere, and our loud voices were filling up the house. I recall the excitement and how I was a little upset that I was losing, but underneath that I was truly happy. It was one of those moments when I could have said, “life is good.”

A family will love you no matter what you do, but when you spend time with them you receive a greater love, a stronger bond. Love is love. I’m talking about a love that is easy to grasp. Anyone can say they love you, but it’s different when you can feel it.

I also believe that when you spend time to talk with your family, you become a wiser person. Everyone has a different way of seeing things. Someone older has more experience and will teach you to do the mature thing. My mother, for example, is someone that I always talk to when I need help. She helps me to do the right thing. A younger person might have a very simple outlook, but that’s how some things should be. My sister makes life sound so easy. She hardly ever worries about anything, and I love spending time with her because of it. My sister does something I wish I could do: live in the moment. Everyone has the opportunity to learn something from their family.

I have gained only good by spending time with my family. When we get in arguments we learn to work through them and become closer because we can’t just walk away. The family bonds, wisdom, and life skills that I’ve learned have made me who I am. Although I still have more to learn from my family, they have already taught me the most important thing: how to love.