Tell Me About the Broccoli

Kasey - bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Themes: integrity

When I ask someone if I look fat in that pair of pants, I really want them to tell me the truth. I believe in honesty. No matter the situation, people deserve pure honesty in their lives. When I use improper grammar, look bad in an outfit, or have broccoli stuck in my teeth from lunch earlier in the day I would like to know about it, because knowing it is only living in honesty. There are many different types of lies, some thought to be good, where the truth may hurt. But, some hurt is necessary, being hurt by the truth is much nicer than being hurt by a lie that you believed for so long to be a truth.

Four years ago, when I was a freshman in high school, I learned why honesty meant so much to me. I had a best friend, who was also my first boyfriend and my first love. We dated for over a year, until I found out that honesty was not a virtue that he lived by. It may not have been the most serious of relationships, I was after all only 14, but being lied to hurt so much when it was by the one person I allowed myself to open up to. The things he lied about remain personal to me, but the effect he had on me I broadcast to all I know. People are often hurt by those around them, it is just a way of life, but whether or not someone is being truthful should never come into play. Without trust, there would be no world treaties, there would be no marriages. And with trust, comes honesty.

Lies hurt; even the white lies can hurt. I cannot let one lie go by, without thinking of all the horrible lies that may also be slipping by.