I Believe

Daniel - Spring Hill, Kansas

When I ask myself, “What is the biggest

belief I have as a Catholic?”, one answer really sticks out. I believe that everything God does; He does on purpose. Everything happens for a reason, and it’s all part of the “plan” He has for us. One event in my life really made this moral stand out to me.

I attended St. Paul’s Catholic School and was there for nine years. So, you better believe that I couldn’t wait to graduate! Confirmation was about a month before graduation. This calling from God was a massive turning point in my faith journey; I could truly feel God come into my life. After the sealing sacrament I was even more pumped up for graduation. When it finally came, it was overwhelming how happy I was, one of the happiest times of my life. This happiness continued over into my first year of high school.

Last summer was great; I had a ton of fun playing baseball and swimming at the pool. When the school year rolled around and football began, even more enjoyment came into my life. I was very happy with school, I had a girl friend, and I was suiting up varsity. This was turning out to be the best year ever. But, soon death came into my life.

My great grandpa, Robert Manning, was an astonishing person. He served in World War II, was married to my great grandma for over 65 years, and had the best house I’ve ever been in. Every time I went to his house he would have a huge smile on his face. I always had to give him a great big hug when I saw him.

On September 15, 2008 he passed away. Funerals are hard for me. Other people can’t tell it hurts me, because I never cry and don’t show emotion. Sometimes I try to cry, but it never comes out. My great grandpa had always been a part of my life and now he’s gone. He’s gone forever. He was a great man and an amazing role model for me. If I live my life as he did I will be double as happy as I was at graduation. Possibly he was meant to go? Maybe his death was all part of the “plan”?

I learned something very important when he died. I was so happy after graduation, yet I was so sad when he died. This showed me that sometimes good things happen, and sometimes bad things happen. Everything that occurs is meant to occur. I fully, truly believe this. I believe it was part of His “plan”.