Less is More

Neil - Red Bud, Illinois

Less is More

For ten years, I attended a small private grade school for Catholics. My parents believed that it was important for me to be exposed to religion as much as possible when I was young so I would develop good habits. It wasn’t until I got out of the Catholic school that I realized what being a Catholic really meant. I looked at religion as just another class that I would have homework in, but now I see it as a necessity in my life. I believe in God.

I actually believe that getting out of the Catholic school has brought me closer to God. I never really appreciated what believing in something meant. I always thought that going to church was more of a chore than a religious experience because I was forced to go twice a week during school. I never prayed to God when I was having problems, and even though I knew a lot about the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, I never took those teachings to heart. I was never comfortable talking about my religion to others and my parents would literally drag me out of bed to get me to go to church. I still thought that I was doing everything right; I followed all the rules and always tried to live by the golden rule but never actually believed in what I was doing.

Now, I still don’t go to church, except for the holidays, but I talk to God every day. I feel that I am closer to Him now than I ever was before, and believing in God has helped me get through some of the toughest moments of my life. Losing family members to cancer and drugs has been hard to live through, but I was able to get through it because I believed that someone was watching over me, protecting me. Before, I always thought that you couldn’t rationalize believing in a god, but now I can’t imagine not believing in a higher power. Next year I leave for college to start a new big chapter in my life and I know there will be ups and downs, but I know that God will be there guiding me. I’m not an obsessed religious person, I haven’t read the Bible, I don’t go to church every weekend, and I sin every day. However, I try to live my life as God would want me to. I believe that God exists, and that He is with me every day.