Hard work never hurt anyone

Mitchell - sandy, Utah
Themes: work

I believe in hard work. As I’ve grown up I always enjoyed listening to the stories my dad told about when he was younger and how much things have changed. I would always tag along and go wherever my dad went when I was growing up. It didn’t matter whether he was going to work at the hospital, plowing driveways, or just helping a friend with a job. As my dad completed these every day tasks I would watch him and try to help him as he put effort, hard work, and planning into each and every one to make sure that the job was done right the first time. As I got older I picked up on some of my dad’s work ethics. Like, making sure the job is done right the first time so you don’t have to do it again, and not giving up if I don’t succeed on the first try. While my dad works he still refers back sometimes to when he was younger and working with his dad. He tells me about how much hard work his dad and other people that lived in that time would put into their jobs. People who lived in that time usually worked on a farm, graduated early, and started working early in life. My dad’s parents and grandparents would get up early in the morning and do chores. When chores were finished they would eat breakfast. After breakfast my dad’s grandfather would go and cut wood all day and if he wasn’t cutting wood then he was working in his shop. While my dad’s grandfather was working his grandmother would work in the garden all day. Then, when winter came and she wasn’t working in her garden she would be baking all day in the kitchen and then she would sell all of her homemade food. When my dad’s grandparents worked they would put all of their hard work and effort into making sure the job got done and that it was done right because they didn’t have machines to do their work for them, like we do today. So it was so much harder and just as important to do it right the first time. When my dad and I do woodwork and remodeling in the house he tells me about how when his grandfather got done stacking his woodpile it would look like a wall, there would be no spaces. He would take the time to cut the all of the wood to the same size and shape so that he would be able to fit as much wood as he could in his shed. My dad’s grandfather wouldn’t waste any wood when he cut down a tree. He would use every piece all the way up to the smallest branches on the tree for his wood stove. My dad’s grandmother was the same way; she put all of her hard work into making sure her garden grew every year. My dad tells me about how he remembers going into her berry patches and it was like walking into tunnels because the plants got so tall and then she would put nets over the berries so, the birds didn’t eat them. After that she wouldn’t pick them until they were completely fresh and ripe. But when I look around today, after listening to my dad’s stories I can see how much things have changed. Today when I go to a grocery store to buy a case of strawberries, I am lucky if I can find one ripe box on the shelf. Today people don’t put as much hard work and pride into their jobs. Today people expect things to be done for them and then they complain when it’s not done to their liking. This happens all of the time because people have become, so lazy that they can’t do things on their own and their own way. This is especially true in younger generations because more and more technology is being built everyday to do the job for them. So, people are starting to forget how to put a little hard work into something, and do the job themselves; and to their liking, that way it is done right the first time. From all of the years of watching my dad, working with him, and listening to his stories, it has brought me to believe strongly in hard work. And that is why I believe in the phrase “a little hard work never hurt anyone”.