Our Brilliant Youth

Jesse - Sandy, Utah

Our Brilliant Youth…

People wake up! Put down your $5 latte and look up from your current weekly celebrity

gossip magazine for a few moments. Yes Lindsay is going back to rehab again, but who cares?

Our freedoms are under attack right before our very eyes, but most young people are too

preoccupied with who got voted off American Idol last night than to care that our Constitution is

being marginalized and our freedoms are slowly being stripped away while we drift blissfully

through life sedated on an opiate of shopping and shallow indifference to our surroundings.

Our government is throwing around our money like a drunken sailor, money that not

even our great grandchildren will be able to pay back. Our government is taking over banks and

private business, setting pay standards and hiring and firing people in the private sector all in the

name of regulation. But the sad thing is most of our young people don’t even know it. The key to

preventing our country coming apart at the seams is education and a knowledge of history. I am

not comforted when I see Jay Leno asking people on the street when the War of 1812 was fought

and people respond with “Huh? I don’t know.” Or when asked who George Washington,

Abraham Lincoln or FDR is they look at him like he is speaking Greek, but when asked about

who’s side they would pick in the ongoing feud between Heidi and Lauren from The Hills they

are able to give a detailed and thought provoking response.

People, please learn your history and take an interest in our political process. Hundreds

of thousands of Americans have died for the freedoms we enjoy today, please don’t let that go to

waste. There is an old saying that goes “Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat

it.” When your time comes to run the country please know what your up against and don’t make

the same mistakes that other cultures have in the past that led to the demise of their civilizations.