Brin - west valley city, Utah

I believe in family. Not always the biological part of family but not putting that aside. I have three adopted sisters that some people would say that they are not really apart of the family. Then you have to think about what defines a family. There famous saying that is takes a village to raise a child, isn’t that a family. Where my sisters come from is a different life that I knew growing up. What I didn’t understand me being at the time the oldest of three why their mothers and fathers could just abandon and not take care of their kids. Watching sister screaming in the hospital going through drug withdrawals two days after birth; Seeing my other two sisters scared of men and hiding food just to make sure they have something to eat later. I didn’t understand why the innocent children had to pay for the mistakes of their parents. To this day after adopting my two sisters, watching them go through anxiety and separation issues tears at my heart to see them still struggling.

The only thing that makes me feel better about their situations now is that they are in a better environment than they were before. That they will be able to look at their family now and say that they are loved and have a family to take care of them. Some say that you can’t get away from your past or where you come from. This is where the people are wrong. It is the environment that you grow up in and the decisions that you make as a person that defines who you are. It doesn’t matter how your parents lived, or how their parents live. It matters how you live. A true family is a unit that loves each other no matter what happens or where you come from. The only thing that matters when you are in a family is the unconditional love and support that is freely given to whoever even though they are adopted in.

When I was younger and didn’t understand about parents treating their own children like that. As I look back I know they weren’t trying to be bad people or bad parents. But the choices they made and the life they lived gave our family three beautiful and bright sisters. Though they are adopted in it doesn’t feel like that if feels that they were meant to be with our family all along.