I Believe

Jamie - Hinton, Oklahoma

I believe champions aren’t just made in the gym. Champions are made from something deep inside them: character, self-determination, and a dream. To succeed in what you want to do, you need all three things to reach your goals.

To dream is to have an ideal of the things in life you want or things you want to accomplish. Whether you dream BIG or small, it’s about having some dream that you can strive for. Douglas H. Everett once said, “there are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some people who face reality; and then there are those who turn into another.” When I set a goal form myself, I don’t let fear overpower my faith; I just keep fighting until I get it right.

Self-determination is determination by oneself or itself, without outside influence. It’s the little person inside of you that never lets you give up. My self-determination is what makes me never settle for less or to give up before I accomplish my goals and dreams. Self-determination is what bounces you back after being beaten. In other words, Sam Snead said it best with “the mark of a great player is in the ablility to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat.”

The last but most important of the three is character. Character is doing what’s right when nobody is looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wroing is to get caught. Character is what keeps you calm and collected in a situation or a game. Character is not made in a crisis, it is just exhibited. T. Alan Armstring once said, “Champs do not become champs when they win the event, but it’s the hours, weeks and years they spend preparing for it. The victorious performance is merely the demonstration of their championship character.”

It’s the little details in life that are so vital. I’ve always heard that little things make big things happen, and it is very true. I believe that you have to have a dream, self-determination, and character to reach your full potential in life, so I never settle for less.