Karma

Stacia - Townsend, Massachusetts
Themes: golden rule

Some say life is like a deck of cards, you plan the hand your dealt, but that’s not necessarily the case. What goes around always makes its way back around in some way or another. Karma is occurring around us every day, whether we see it or not. It could take a matter of minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, even years for karma to happen, but it will happen eventually. It could be something really little, or it could be something life changing.

As a child, my father worked hard in school and graduated in the top ten of his high school. He was accepted into a lot of colleges and decided to go to Northeastern, where he received a scholarship for his grades and sports. He ran track throughout college and worked hard enough to graduate in the top ten of his class, which opened up a lot of doors for him. After achieving his bachelor’s degree in computer sciences, he was offered a job at Toshiba selling lap tops. Every year they would have a challenge and the top sellers would win a vacation to miscellaneous places around the world, including Switzerland, Florida, Europe and many other places. Almost every year my father would be gone for a week’s time on one of these trips and always came back with trinkets for us from each place, including rich chocolates and beautiful coo-coo clocks from Switzerland. All of these great things he got were rewards from being such a hard worker his whole life. He always gives his all in every aspect of his life, including coaching softball, basketball, and baseball for us four kids.

My uncle, on the other hand, was not so lucky. As a kid he was the definition of a punk. He would get into fights, hang out with the wrong kids who were doing the wrong things, cheated on many different girl friends, he rarely ever tried in school and did not even try applying for college. Now, he is a bum. His childhood left him with no education to put on a resume, which in the end led to very little income. He is a good hearted man, but his kindness came too late to have a lasting effect. He tries very hard, but it rarely ever gets him anywhere. As a result of the poor decisions he made in his childhood, his adulthood has not been very promising. The woman he fell in love with wound up stabbing him in the back and their marriage lasted less than a year. Now he is getting on his feet through perseverance and diligence and they are proving to have a positive impact on his life.

Some may say life is like a deck of cards; you get what you’re dealt. This could be true for some, but false for others. It is a matter of opinion, but in my eyes, karma is the real deal. What goes around will always make its way back around.