I Believe

Brett - Hinton, Oklahoma

I believe that practice makes you better. I personally apply this to the sport of golf. Practice does not only make you better in the physical aspect, but mentally as well. This does not pertain only to golf or other sports, but is found true in all that I do.

Ray Bradbury once said, “I know you’ve heard it a thousand times before. But it’s true – hard work pays off. If you want to be good, you have to practice, practice, practice. If you don’t love something, then don’t do it.” I love this quote because it exerts the issue of the importance of practice, and your will to succeed. I become a great deal better at something I practice than at those things in which I don’t. It takes the repetition of doing something the right way to be able to do it correctly in a pressured situation. You also become better at something mentally the more you practice it, because your confidence grows in it with more practice.

I belive this particularly prevails in golf. When I have practiced a shot and know I can hit it six out of ten times, then I am more likely to follow through and actually use it as a weapon in my arsenal. When you think you are going to hit a good shot when you address the ball and visualize the shot as you want to hit it because you have practiced it, the probability of doing so is higher by a higher percentage. Most of the experiences I have had to justify this has come in the negative aspect of the situation. When I fail to practice the about I believe I need, my mental state is not where it needs to be, so in turn my play struggles.

Practice applies to multiple activities, though I am most familiar with golf, because it is what I have dedicated the most practice time towards and is what I love. This reveals another important point – you need to love what you practice for the practice to do any good. Your heart needs to be in the things you choose to do to benefit yourself and those around you.