God’s Way for Me

Matthew - Lenexa, Kansas

God’s Way for Me

Have you ever wondered why certain things occur in your life? Have you ever thought why God allows these things to happen? God has a plan for everyone even though we have no idea what it is. I know that he has played a key role in some of the worst and greatest moments of my life. Through all these times, I know God is preparing me for his plan for my life.

When I was in the seventh grade I was verbally bullied. I honestly didn’t know why God was presenting me with this situation. When praying, I asked, “Why are you allowing this to happen to me?” About a week later a teacher told me, “ God presents walls in front of people not to hinder them, but to get around them.” I thought about this and realized he was helping me by providing a different way to look at the situation. A week after I learned this and tried it out, the bullying stopped. I believe God provided me with an opportunity to strengthen myself.

One of the greatest moments in my life was in ninth grade playing varsity soccer. I had been asking God for the grace and the power to be able to help my team and score a goal. For three weeks I prayed to God for this gift, but it didn’t happen. It was the last game of the playoffs, if we won, we would continue to the State Championship. We completed three overtime periods and had just started our fourth, the score was tied 1-1. It was against the Piper Pirates. With two minutes and thirty four seconds left in the game, we got a corner kick. Off this corner kick came the first goal of my freshman year to send our team to state. I think this was God giving me a chance to prove myself.

The final way I believe God has spoken to me was through watching a movie about the Holocaust. This video was called, A Life is Beautiful. It taught me there is always another way to look at a situation. For example, when the dad and son are in the camp, and the dad makes the camp seem like a game. He creates a point system, and if they win the game they receive a tank and are allowed to return home. It helped his son endure the horrible circumstances they were living in without thinking he is in any danger. From this movie, I learned even in the worst situations I have control over my thoughts and how I choose to react. I can focus on the bad side of things or I can make the best of it.

When I find myself wondering why things happen in my life I choose to think about it differently now. I can find the good in the worst of circumstances and know there is a reason for the suffering. I believe God is preparing me for his plan through the best and worst times. Now its your turn to think about your life stories. Think about how God is preparing you. Think about it.