Nature vs. Nurture

Jordan - Hinton, Oklahoma

Over the years, I have, everyday of my life, overheard or had to listen to what other people believe, wether it be through their actions, statements they have made, or simply voicing their opinions. With this being said, I have had much time to sit and think about what I believe, and have come to the conclusion that I believe in many things. Too many things to list, in fact. Despite this, I have recognized one reoccuring instance that calls for the questioning of what one believes, and

how strongly they believe in it in every occurance.

This occurance has ultimately been given the name nature vs. nurture. It is the arguement of someones lifestyle being because of fate, or chosen because of influences in their lives.

I have seen people make choices, and those choices, whether they have a positive or negative result, are blamed on the way the person making the decision was raised, but I have also seen it played out the opposite way, where people say that they can’t blame anyone else, because it was the choice that they made on their own. Having both arguments on the table, someone on the outside looking in could easily choose one way or the other, but which is correct? There is no

evidence supporting either theory, so I still have to wonder “how can an opinion be correct or incorrect?”.

If you were to ask me to give you some examples of this, I wouldnt be able to, because there are so many times that it happens, that it just seems to fade into the background. When it isn’t pointed out plainly, it seems to remain rather insignificant, but it is evident that this dispute does exist. Do people grow up and live their lives based upon what they see, or are they born, predestined to live a life already chosen for them by some unknown force?

Personally, I believe that the solution to this lies not within deciding which option is correct, but within the person making the decision. I believe that one chooses their lifestyle not according to nature or nurture itself, but allow this factor to interfere with their choices, making the ulitmate answer neither nature or nurture, but how easily one allows oneself to be influenced overall.

I dont think that anyone grows up and lives according to exactly what they grew up around, nor do I believe that they have no control over how they live, I simply believe that one lives their life and makes their decisions based on how easily they allow themself to be influenced by their past and their peers. Even if your right to act on it is taken away, you still have the right to make your own decisions, and that can never change, but in not analyzing your situations and weighing your options thoroughly, you give up your ability to make your own choices, allowing yourself to give up part of what can make your life yours.