Grace - Gardner, Kansas

I served at a local agency to help others in need. During my service I had seen so many people who were upset or miserable. I soon came to realize that none of these people looked real, they were so unhappy that they looked like robots. I smiled to one of the people and she gave me a cheeky little grin. Then she started to laugh. I do not know weather she was laughing at me, or with me, but I was glad to have made someone smile. When I got home I was thinking about the people there. What were they missing? Why were they so unhappy? I thought about this for so long, and then I suddenly realized it. I have so many friends, a wonderful family, and an amazing home. They had been rejected for so long, frowned upon, excluded from the world. No one had been there for them.

When I served this agency, I saw so many who were upset. They did not feel like they were loved. Without love, my life would be filled with sorrow, misery, and unhappiness. I saw so many people like this. When I went in to serve the next day, I saw the same thing. Again, I smiled to one of the people there, they smiled back. I could see a glimpse of joy in their eyes. This young lady who had been rejected, and alone for so long, that she no longer looked like she could ever be happy again. But, when I smiled to her, and she smiled back. I could see that she was truly happy. That day when she left she had a big grin on her face, I knew that she felt loved again. A simple smile can do so much for a person who has so little. It takes such a small amount of effort, but it can mean so much. When you smile at someone you are showing that there is joy in the world, and that you love them. You should take the time to smile. It takes such a small amount of effort. I believe that can help people in the most extraordinary ways.