Sweet Ice and Sugary Fluff

Xini - Las Vegas, New Mexico
Themes: setbacks

It’s the best time of the day, school has ended and everyone is heading to the south side of the building. The long line of about ten students waits to get snow cones and cotton candy. We have been getting this treat for what seems like forever. Everyone is so happy, standing around with bags of colorful fluffy pink and blue candy. Snow cones drip, dyeing the floor a rainbow of colors. It’s so nice to see everyone so bright after a day at school. You know how boring it can get staring a page of lines and words that you will not likely remember the next day. After this boring period, which lasts for about seven hours, it was a relief to get a treat. Remember I said WAS.

Very recently teachers sent out a note to parents that made it more difficult for students to get snow cones and cotton candy. The note said that we were only able to buy treats if we had a permission slip signed by our parents. Even if you have this, once you leave the campus you can not come back with snow cones and cotton candy to share or talk with friends.

The first reason for the evil note was because the teachers thought we were being irresponsible dripping color and letting fluff fly. Another reason for it is they think it is unhealthy. Cavities are always a concern because of the artificial flavoring and sugar in the cotton candy and snow cones. But it is our choice! If we want to eat this junk food we should be able to.

Lately I have been missing the excitement of the crunchy cool ice and cotton candy in the afternoon. The days used to go by so slow but at the end it would be worth it. Now, without the sweetness at the end of the day to cheer me up, the whole day at school seems to go to waste.

I believe that we, Rio Gallinas students, should be aloud to have any kind of snacks after school hours and on the campus.