A World Where Water Litters

Leonardo - Las Vegas, New Mexico
Themes: environment

Imagine a floating island the size of Texas made of pieces of plastic just floating on the Pacific Ocean; an ocean that used to be crystal clear has been darkened and littered with plastic. Well, guess what! It really exists.

My family and I have always used reusable water bottles. We try to use disposable water bottles as seldom as possible. For as long as I can remember my family and I have known where those water bottles end up after they are thrown away. One time my mother and I went on a camping trip around northern New Mexico when we came upon a campsite that was littered with trash. There were plastic bottles from other campers everywhere. In the water and on the ground there was not a single place where water bottles had not polluted. My mother, being such an environmentalist, made me help her pick up every piece of trash we could find. All this has taught me that my littering would affect some else later on in life.

How many bottles of water do you drink daily? How many of them do you recycle? How many do you throw away? Do you ever think where they might end up? Water bottles take hundreds of years to even start to decompose. The average American drinks about 167 water bottles every year and 8 out of 10 are thrown away to landfills. If 80% of all water bottles are thrown away and they take hundreds of years to start decomposing, its no surprise the buildup of water bottles has become huge in a short time. Proof of this is the floating mass made of plastic the size of Texas in the Pacific Ocean. Did you know that if everyone in New York City gave up disposable plastic water bottles for one week they would save 24 million bottles from being thrown away? If they did the same thing for one year they would save 1.328 billion bottles from being thrown away.

As a solution to stop the pollution that is being caused by water bottles, I believe that we should stop the use of disposable plastic and have reusable water bottles required by law. To help that solution I believe there should be more public water fountains. Also, as a solution for the pollution that has already been caused by water bottles, we should gather as many as possible and recycle them all so that we may reuse the plastic to make more useful things, such as a plastic space station, or something cool like that.

People shouldn’t take things for granted; I believe that people should realize how their actions affect the environment. This I believe.