Mary - Hinton, Oklahoma

I believe that athletic competition makes you a better person. The competition makes you learn many life lessons by facing adversities, and overcoming obstacles. Some of these obstacles include injury and feeling like you’re being cheated by the ref’s. The adversities faced make you a better person in the long run of life.

Injury is the biggest challenge that athletes have to overcome. I got hit by a baseball in the back of my shoulder the summer before my sophomore year. Many tests were ran and we never could find anything wrong with it. I refused to set out that season, so I played on loratab and ibuprofen, and by the time basketball came around I could hardly stand the pain. I set out most of that season, and it was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do, and I truly believe it made me more humble, there was nothing I could do when my team was down, except give them words of encouragement and try to pick them up. When they hurt I knew the exactly how they felt, even though I hadn’t done anything. I felt their pain just from experiencing it before. I believe that setting out make me have more respect and made me a better person, by teaching me a lesson the hard way. You never think something bad could happen to you and when it does, it crushes your spirit, and you have to have the strength to overcome it.

Someone once said “if you’re not cheating, you’re not trying.” I don’t agree with that quote because I believe you should always work hard. When you feel like you’re being cheated by the ref’s there is nothing you can really do, except get over it and play harder. Just the other day I was playing softball and there were numerous times that a wrong call was made when the call wasn’t even close. For instance, a ground ball was caught and threw to first, the girl was out by a mile, and even she knew that she was out. Somehow the ref called her safe, and there was no use in arguing. Everyone was frustrated but the calls just seemed to keep getting worse, from force outs being dropped and still called out, to fly balls being caught and the call was that it was dropped. There was nothing we could do, and no matter how mad it made me I knew that when I let my anger take over that I would just make things go worse. I believe that not letting yourself get frustrated helps you learn to control your anger. Controlling your anger is a big part of life because frustration can get the best of you at times, and doing something you would regret could mess up things completely.

Through life there will be many challenges in athletic competitions. Injuries and being cheated, together, can help you become more humble, and have the emotional strength to overcome obstacles. I believe life in itself is a competition, even if you don’t realize it at times. I believe that athletic competition gives you the experience to overcome the daily obstacles. Therefore, I believe athletic competition makes you a better person.