sadness brings a new life

Jennifer - los angeles, California

There’s a saying that goes like this: “When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life you have a thousand reasons to smile”. This quote is one of my favorites in which I strongly believe. These words represent much. They make me reflect on the experiences I have had. It’s not only a quote to me but its reality, advice and an example to look up to. I believe so strongly in these valuable words that have become more of a rule to live by.

You may be asking why I believe in this so strongly and I will tell you why. I came to believe in these words by experience. I’ve figured out that when life comes hard at you, feeling sorry for yourself and crying a river just makes it worse. It does not help nor heal in any way. Putting up a smile and keeping your head up does make a difference.

There was a time when life gave me a hundred reasons to cry, but after a while I figured that I should show life I have a thousand reasons to smile. Saying it hurts does not make the pain go away.

When my great grandmother passed away, it seemed to be that life was giving up on me. It was the fact that she’s going to be gone forever. My first reaction was to be upset. I couldn’t understand why my great grandmother had left us. Waking to my house, family members were crying. Tears rolling down my chin, I told everyone everything would be okay. There were just so many questions piling up that couldn’t be answered at a moment like this. After her death, people asked, why her? Family members and my mother were also affected to know to know the person who saw her grow up was gone forever. My mother, a very strong women understood the situation.

At first it was tough but I looked around I saw many things that were worth smiling for. My beliefs brought me to realize that I have to show the world that I couldn’t easily be put down because life’s to short. I thank God and life for giving her the opportunity to enjoy life for 86 years. If you really think about it for a second, 86 years is an age to be thankful for living. It was a week later after that we buried her that I realized that there are many things life offers to take away the tears. Just the feeling to know that she was now resting in peace just made things easier. Life has to go on.

Now if you ask me if I believe in the quote “When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile”, my response will be given with a smile. Yes I do believe, not only because everyone needs something to believe in, but because life offers smiles to take away the tears. Because I can now go back and remember her, my great grandmother still lives and remains in my heart forever. I focus on the good things that life has offered me. My family was a great support and my great grandmother’s death brought us closer together. We can only remember her with tears of happiness. That’s why I strongly believe no matter what, you have to smile.