Say

Adi - Brookline, Massachusetts

I believe in being friendly to the monsters under the bed as well as the one in the closet. When I was a little girl, I was terrified of the ugly, vicious, mean, scary, big, harry monster which lived under my bed. For many nights in my childhood this horrible, unknown monster gave me a hard time falling asleep. I remember staying awake all night long, scared to death, that as soon as I fell asleep, the monster would take me out of my bed with its big green arms into its house under my bed, where I’d be cooked and served for dinner. Some nights I could even feel its fingers touching my legs. However, every time I try to remember those times in my life, I can also imagine my parents, standing next to my little bed saying in the most sweet, loving voice, “Don’t be scared Adi. Say ‘Hi’ to the monster and it will be your friend. You’ll see; she is very nice when you get to know her.”

Today, I don’t need to check under my bed anymore to confirm that there isn’t any monster there. However, it doesn’t mean that monsters disappeared after I celebrated my 6th birthday. oh, no. Monsters have never left me, but they left the space under my bed and their arms aren’t green anymore. In fact those monsters looks just like you and me and they even sleep on the upper side of the bed! Even though they seem and behave like real people, most of the time we still have this kind of irrational fear towards them. We don’t trust them and we don’t talk to them. We just don’t say “Hi”. I’m already sixteen now, and I’m not scared of the monsters anymore, its people I’m scared of.

Since I came to the U.S, seven months ago, I have known that for some people I’m this unknown monster as well as they are for me. And even though my arms aren’t green, I know that it’s the differences between us that hold other people from saying “Hi”. But thanks to my parents, I can now appreciate this lesson a lot more. Every day you meet new monsters from different homes and different cultures and the secret is to get to know them. When we hide behind the belief that everyone who’s different is also evil, we would soon find ourselves all alone in the world. There are no two people who are exactly the same in this world! I’ve learned that everyone can be your friend if you just get to know him. Sometimes it’s scary and weird, but it’s worth to try! This is the only, great way to live your life “monster free”. I believe that even though people seem scary and different, we should try be their friends first, and then you’d see how great people really are. In fact, you’ll be surprised to find out that the scariest monster could become your best friend.