I believe that nothing is impossible

Erin - Lebanon, Pennsylvania

I believe that nothing is impossible. There is no limit as to what a person can do. Whether it’s getting into college, getting a job, making a difference or just setting a goal and reaching for it. There is no star that is too far out of reach. As a young girl I tried many sports. I tried soccer, t-ball, basketball, and field hockey. All my friends had one thing there were good at and there was me just kind of going with the flow and never really sticking out. I wanted so badly to be a part of a team and have goals. I never thought I would get that one chance to prove to myself that I could be a part of a team.

This all changed my freshman year of high school. Every day on my way to first period I would pass the coach of the cross country team. When I passed him he would tell me I should join the cross country team. Every time he would say this I just looked at him with a “yeah right” look. I remembered how many times I tried to do a sport but failed and cross country is just running and I thought to myself “me, run? That’s impossible”. A cross country course is 3 miles; I had never run three miles at one time in my life. No matter how many times I would decline the offer coach was still persistent. One morning in homeroom I heard an announcement about the cross country call out meeting. I thought to myself maybe I can do this; maybe this is not so impossible after all. I went to the meeting and made my decision. I was going to do it. With some doubt in my mind I signed up, not knowing what the future held.

The first day of preseason arrived. My heart felt like it weighed a thousand pounds. I was really doing this; I was doing a sport that was all about doing what I disliked the most, running. Preseason was rough, there were many times that I felt like I wanted to quit but knew that all the hard work I put into training would have meant nothing. I stuck with it. Finally it was time for my first race. I had never been so nervous in my life. The gun went off; I was running as fast as I could. The three miles were brutal. All throughout the race I could feel the lactic acid burning in my legs. My tired body kept running. I finally crossed the finish line. I had done it; I accomplished something that I never thought I could. I knew right then and there that I had made the right choice. Even though it was tough and I felt like giving up I kept going, proving to myself that nothing is impossible.