A Message for Life

Michael - st. peters, Missouri

An outcast would easily sum up what I felt like in elementary school. I just didn’t seem to fit in. When I was in 6th grade I began getting in a little bit of trouble. My talking out in class had me down in the principles office about once a week. Was I really making people laugh? Were people really enjoying my smart witty comments and what I had to say? God It felt good to be noticed. From that point on, I’ve had more friends than ever, but not because I was known for acting out. It was simply because I was known. All this time I wasn’t just that weirdo that nobody liked, I was that weirdo no body knew. I came to realize that others don’ t matter, it was about representing my values and the person I am. People didn’t not like me because I was just some weird outcast. People didn’t like me because it’s impossible to like someone that you don’t know. I was too afraid to even put myself out there as I felt I would be scorned and ridiculed by the other children. What I was lacking was confidence. One can’t expect others to accept them when they don’t accept their self. But how do you avoid being made fun of, pushed around? You can’t! You can’t make people like you but you can make people notice you. From the words of Kurt Cobain, “I would rather be hated for who I am then loved for who I’m not”. Find confidence, and be confident that people will like you for the person you are. Be happy with who you are and make yourself known. Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all. It is easy to respect someone who acts the way they act because that is who they are. How can you respect someone who does nothing but tries to make other like them, someone absent minded who lacks the ability to think for their selves?

I’ve pushed aside the pressure of being all I can be and am simply what I want to be. Life is just to short. When I was seven, I was forced to deal with the divorce of my parents. But over time, they too realized that there are way more important things in life as they pushed their differences aside and remarried years later. They realized that deep down they really loved each other but their selfish ways were keeping them apart. They realized that keeping the family together was what was truly important. And seeing my father in so much pain, laying in the hospital bed after the house fire we had when I was ten was devastating, yet hard to understand at such a young age. This alone really made me grow up as my immaturity and lack of security no longer sacrificed my individuality. I realized that there was more to life then to impress others. I believe that one must evaluate what is truly important, realizing that the stress of attempting popularity is not, though the lengths of individuality will make one known. In simpler terms Dr. Seuss once said, “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”.

What is ones purpose in life? I honestly can not answer this as I feel it is up to ones self as an individual to give their life purpose. Our main focus in life is to pursue happiness. But what does it mean to be truly happy? Does it mean to be financially successful, or to have the love and support of a family? No, these are both good values but they are not what determines happiness. To be happy is simply to be content or satisfied. One can be poor, working the streets and still accomplish happiness. One can be happy being poor, working the streets. If that is what one loves, then by all means, love it. It is up to ones self to find happiness and contentivness. Don’t go through life trying to please others but realize life can be lonely without good friends.