Wake up Call

Rylee - Benton, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that events happen for a reason and if you put them in God’s hands, everything will happen the way he wants them too.

Everybody will one day get called home to meet God, whether you are ready to leave or not. My brother Tyler’s day had almost come, but God put his protective hands around him, even though he was hurt pretty badly, after his truck went tumbling and flipping after turning a curve on a wet, dark road.

When I was seven years old, I went to spend the night with my friend Laura. That night, I went to watch her play a baseball game. When we returned to her house, there was a message on the answering machine, from my momma, saying that my brother and his friend, Preston, had been in a really bad car accident and that my mom and dad were going to meet up with him at the Saline Memorial Hospital.

I later discovered the extent of the injuries he had received. When the accident occurred, Preston had been wearing his seatbelt, like he was supposed to, unlike Tyler. After they rolled on Highway 5 three times, Tyler had been tossed half way out of the window. When all of the glass shattered around him, it had fallen into him and stuck there.

After the hospital visit, Preston had turned out to be in pretty good condition with a few minor cuts and bruises. Tyler, on the other hand got head bandages because they still were not able to remove some of the straggling behind pieces of glass. After days of bed rest, a totaled truck, and pieces of glass attached to his scalp and hand, he was very lucky to have survived.

But one day we will have to be ready because we will all get called to meet up with God. On this particular day, I believe that God sent Tyler a wake up call to prove to him that you can not take life for granted, like so many of us do. Just learn to live your life full of happiness because we only get one chance to live it.