The Perfect Season

Max - Bedford, New York

I believe in cooperation.

Whenever I think of cooperation, a story pops into my head, the time my team had the opportunity to play in the championship game. This happened three years ago when I was ten years old. Our team was probably the best out there, or at least we played together as if we were. We were as feared as a wild, vicious tiger in the jungle. The regular season was about our wins, and they were not cheapies. We were winning games 31-1, 27-2, and 19-0. It sounds like an exaggeration, but it was not. We lost to one team, the Tigers, 12-4. We had the best record in the league going 12-1. Then the playoffs came, our first game came down to the wire. We won 5-4 against the Twins. We advanced to the next round. Then coming up was the Rockies in the semifinals. This we won 9-2. Now, it is that time, the championship. We are playing the Tigers, the one team we lost to, seeking revenge for our early season loss. We were ready to take them on. The air outside was crisp and cool. The sight of the 2 best teams in the league facing off to be crowned the championship game winners was a really amazing sight. One thing popped into my head, it was time for the perfect season to have a happy ending. We raced out to a 5-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. We never turned back, winning 12-1. Now that’s what I call revenge.

A couple of lessons I learned from this experience were one, it takes everyone on a team to win a championship game, or even one game. Another one I learned is that success in cooperation does not come overnight. Like here, we lost to this team, losing 12-4, and yet, when we played as a team, we smoked them 12-1.

After our team won the game I felt as if this was a one time thing and that it was never going to happen again. I thought that a moment like this was going to happen once in a lifetime. But with great cooperation, something like winning the championship does not have to be a one time thing. Your team could win it all every year if your team always has great cooperation and chemistry (similar to cooperation.)

One way I have used this lesson/lessons since my team won the championship game is whenever I am on a team, one thing I look for is great team chemistry. Another thing I look for along the lines of cooperation is how your teammates react if you do something wrong or make a bad play in the field. If they support you and give you constructive criticism that is not harsh at all you are in good shape. However, if they yell at you or tell you that you are not a good or valuable team member, do not expect to go anywhere during your season.

Now, I feel like success is a really good feeling and that if you want to feel success, you have to cooperate. In my mind, cooperation leads to success, success leads to victories, victories lead to playoff victories, playoff victories lead to championship titles, and championship titles lead to joy and happiness. And then at the beginning of every new season, each team has a chance to repeat the cycle. And I cannot think of a team that does not want to be crowned the champions of the league.

Throughout life, cooperation can and will lead you to great things in life whether it is related to sports, work, or anything else in life, cooperation can never hurt anything you try to do. So, the next time you are on a sports team, look and see if your team has good chemistry and cooperation, then you will see what happens when your team does or does not cooperate. If they cooperate poorly, do not expect to win a game more than once in that season. If they cooperate really well, do not expect to lose more than one game in the season, and usually, these types of teams are the ones that win championships. This I believe.