I believe in actions and reactions (karma)

Gowri - Allen, Texas

Newton’s third law of motion is often simplified as this – “To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” I believe that the law of life can also be simplified in this very sentence. Having been born as a Hindu, I strongly believe in “Karma”. I see life as a series of actions and reactions. I always believed that positive attitude and positive effort will bear positive results and negative one will bear negative results.

My life experiences as a child and as an adult have reinforced my belief in innumerable ways. I started believing in this right from a very tender age as a Kindergartener. I was born into a middle class Indian family. Education was considered the most important virtue of our lives. So to me as a child, excelling in education became my goal in life. If I studied hard enough, I got good grades. I behaved well in school so I could be leader of my class for that day. This was my first hands on experience of my belief.

My parents gave me this wonderful opportunity to learn the great ancient art of Bharatanatyam. My belief of actions and reactions got further reinforced through this art form. A major aspect of this art form is “Natya” or the part of the dance where the dancer invokes “rasa” or feelings in the audience through his/her portrayal of “abhinaya” or emotions. So, if I wanted someone to respect me or love me, I knew that I need to perform that action first to experience the reaction in return.

When I had my children, this belief of my mine got stronger and I am able to experience the beautiful manifestation of my belief in their innocent ways. My naughty 5 year old cries each time he has a fight with his older sister. He knows that action of his is going to bring forth the reaction of my empathy towards him.

So, I try to gear very action of mine in such a way that it will bear a positive and enriching reaction. To some, this might be a very egocentric way of life. But I believe that this very belief of mine helps me to keep my ego in check.

To some, this might also seem to be an over simplification of life. But to me, life is a dazzling garland of these simple actions and reactions woven together to maintain the delicate equilibrium.