I believe in you

Grace - Bedford, New York

“Shoot for the moon and if you miss you’ll always reach the stars” as my Grandma would always say. My grandma was and still is a very essential part of my life. She inspired me to always believe in my self and others. Ever since she passed away, and went on to another and better place, this thought has stuck with me like feathers and glue. She is and for ever and will always be my role model. She always told my cousins and me “If you don’t believe in yourself then who will?” and this thought, those nine words truly changed my life forever.

My Grandmother was a very hard worker. Raising seven kids as a mom and single was never easy. When her husband died of lung cancer, she was alone in the world, and was forced to raise her own kids. She was the kind of person that I look up to. She was never the one to give up and she was a believer in everyone. As she went on in life she faced obstacles that could have stopped her from living her life and sharing in her children’s life.

She always believed in my cousins and I, and she believed in herself when times were tough. Her first child’s name was Patricia. Patricia was diagnosed with leukemia at birth. She got to live four years of her life and then her body could not fight any longer, and she passed away. My Grandmother was crushed. She had no faith whatsoever. She wanted to give up and not go forward. She tried for one more and it was all up hill from there. She was happy with her seven kids and wonderful husband. They had a beautiful house and my grandpa had a really great job to support the family. Until March 17th, this was the day her beloved husband died from lung cancer. She was all alone in the world and was alone to take care of her 7 kids.

I believe that my Grandmother was right. Every one has a position on earth and any one can do anything no matter the circumstances. Now all of her children have grown up and are now very successful. I feel that she changed my life. And now when I feel that I am not capable of doing something or just feel that nothing is fair, I think back to her: Kathleen McNamara. Whenever I am doing a sport or a project and I think that it is hard or that we wont win, I think about her and it makes me smile, I am proud to know someone like her, and I know that she it watching down on my family. She was the strongest person I ever knew. And now I am trying to live up to what she would suppose of me.

I believe that anyone can do anything, and you will always get through it. You just have to believe in yourself and believe in others too. Never let someone or something get in your way and just look forward and keep walking until you see every thing clear up. “Shoot for the moon and if you miss dear, you’ll all ways reach the stars I love you”. I believe in you.