The power within

Zoe - Bedford, New York

I’m in front of the mirror with this really cute, new outfit on wondering, will the kids at school like it? I am worried, scared that the other kids will be laughing and staring. I finally just decide to wear it. Later that day, I see kids staring. I think to myself oh no I shouldn’t have taken this risk. Then, a girl comes up to me and says, OMG Zoë I love your outfit! I learned that day that no matter what you think will happen, you just have to have confidence in yourself. I also learned that I don’t have to care what other people think because they aren’t the judges of you. You are.

I believe in having confidence in yourself no matter what you think will happen in the future. If you have this cute outfit or haircut, don’t be hesitant to try it out. People are not going to judge you if you are confident with yourself, they will respect you.

One of my friends, she always cared what everyone thought and always wore everything everyone else was wearing. One day someone was making fun of her because she had a reputation of being a wannabe and doing what everyone else did. After that, she always wore and did almost exactly what the all other kids were doing to make sure she wouldn’t be made fun of again. She kept complaining to me saying, “They’re going to hate my clothes!” I finally just said, “Have some confidence. It doesn’t matter what other people think if you stop copying everyone then they will stop making fun of you!” After what I said she finally came to grip with that and wore what she liked.

Confidence is a very important quality to have and if you are not confident in yourself, then I think you will have a very limited childhood or maybe even life. You would be limited because then you would not be able to express yourself and you would have to be a follower, not a leader. Ever since I had that experience, I have not cared what other people think, or thought about me. You should try it sometime. It feels good. This I believe.