True Friends are Hard to Find

Jillian - Bedford, New York

You can believe in many different things but I find believing in yourself is the best belief you can have. Confidence, when you believe in who you are, it is so impotent. My cousin was in high school being her happy perky self. She had a group of friends who I guess didn’t like the way she was and her personality. They wanted her to change from my favorite kind caring cousin to the person she’s not. She held her ground and made sure that she stayed herself.

All the years that she was friends with them were fun. It came to high school when things started to change. Everything around her was changing and she was changing too. After a while her friends were changing her personality and the way she acted. She was friends with them all her life and it was over. So she stood her ground and made it clear that she wasn’t changing. After standing her ground she ended up losing her friends. After this happening she found new friends and the same thing happened again and again until she found her true friends.

When my dad told me my cousin’s story it didn’t mean anything to me. I was 7, what do you expect from a 7 year old other then a wow and then run off to play. I was young and didn’t find it one of the important things; I found my doll house and computer more important. When I got older, I forgot about it but when I started to write my This I Believe it came back to me and I found the real meaning of what happened. The true meaning is being you and never change in any circumstances. No matter what people think about you, you never have to change just because people don’t like who and what you are. When I found out how she felt it made me feel sad and sorry for her. You need to be proud of your inner self. I call it your inner beauty because everyone is beautiful in their own way.

When you get put down you need to get up and grow back into a beautiful flower. She may have lost her best friends but she got back up and went through this a couple of times and eventually she blossomed into a beautiful rose. Talking about this can be very depressing but you need to get use to the fact that people don’t always like you for you.

I used this for my I believe because it is very inspiring to me and it may be to many other people. Losing friends to yourself is better then losing yourself to your friends. Making new friends is easier then re-finding who you were. When I think of this story I think of how strong my cousin was and how she didn’t give up. When I am older I want to be just like my cousin. This I believe.