In the Long Run

Ruby - Bedford, New York
Themes: integrity

I believe in many things. But one value I believe in most is honesty. I believe in doing the right thing. I believe in the truth. I have hope for a better world, by saying honest things.

A neighbor I were walking on the beach and I commented on her Abercrombie flower shorts, which I liked, and she said, “Thanks. I took my moms credit card and bought so much clothing!” She laughed like it was so funny that she stole from her own mom, not to mention that they don’t have a lot of money. I just went along because I didn’t really want to say how bad that was of her. She said that her mom let her keep the clothes but she had to pay her back.

That same girl and I were walking down the street one day, watching after some little kids and their parents said to us, “How old are you guys? Maybe you could babysit!” The other girl said she was fourteen. Earlier that day she told me she was twelve. I said I was eleven and the lady said, “Great,” to the other girl “you are the perfect age to babysit for us! In a few years you can Ruby.” Later I said to her, “I thought you said that you were twelve.” She said that she was twelve but she really wanted the job, so she lied. If that lady found out how old she really was, she probably wouldn’t hire her again, and if she had just told her the truth there would have been a better outcome in the long run.

I turned thirteen in late March, but when I was eleven or twelve, if I was going to the movies with some friends, everyone would say that they were thirteen to get in. I would too, but one time when I went with a friend and we saw a PG movie she thought it was PG13. The ticket guy said “How old are you girls?” She said thirteen because she thought she wouldn’t get in otherwise. I saw the sign for the movie and it said PG so I said that I was twelve. He said to me, “Okay yours is $8.50,” then said to her, “And yours is $10.50.” Then she quickly said that she was twelve, because she could get into the movie for less money. The guy started yelling at her and saying how she was lying about one of the ages, and how unethical that was. I felt bad for her because she almost got thrown out of the theater. I realize now that you can get into a lot of trouble if you lie to get in.

I believe that being honest always turns out better. People will lie, but if everyone could tell the truth more often, then I think the world would be a better place. My friend from the movies would have probably just gotten in with no trouble if she had just said that she was twelve, and the girl would probably have gotten the job with no secrets if she just waited one or two more years. Also, if she had just bought the clothes with her own money, or thought twice before taking the credit card number then she wouldn’t have to pay her mom back and she would have had the clothes still. In the long run, honesty is the best policy. This I believe.