Anyonr Can Make a Difference

Jordan - Bedford, New York

In this world that people inhabit, there are areas in countries, like Nicaragua, that are in dire need of help, needing people to donate necessities, stand up for them, and hear their cries. There are few houses, which seem to be more like huts. You shower with water from a bucket that you pour onto your head. This is a place where women get raped and harassed, a place where people are starving and homeless. And yet, they have no right to be in this situation, they were born into it. This is a place where food is so scarce, but when the people of this place see visitors they offer all of what they have. A place where kids are uneducated, and don’t have many of the great riches of the world. This place unimaginable, but yet real. It is so hard to hear of a place like this, where there is so much to be given, but little is. The world stands idle, and watches places like this suffer, where innocent people’s cries go unheard. This is one of the things people must stand up for. I believe in integrity, to stand up for what you believe in. The world can’t be like this, but this is what can happen when people don’t stand up for what you believe in, and nobody would ever want this to happen to them.

This past February, my brother and a select few, went down to this place that needs help. My brother believes in helping others and giving charity, and by doing this he was standing up for what he believed in. This select few gave them homes, comfort, friendship, and a little bit of support and food. My bother alongside these brave and helpful people went to this place for about a week. My brother used words like upsetting and shocking when he saw the village he was placed in. Additionally, he used words like kind and charitable to describe what the people who live in this place are like. These people barely have enough food for themselves, but when they saw my brother and the others in his village, little kids came out with fruit baskets and they offered them whatever they had. It amazes me how these people who don’t have enough food for themselves, give others food instead of feeding themselves. In this crazy world we live in, people are enormously greedy, and they aren’t willing to think of others before themselves. This is another belief I believe in, charity.

My brother and his peers built about two homes in three different villages. This wasn’t an easy task, but it was greatly appreciated. These brave few donated homes to those who needed housing. They believe in charity and to house the homeless and feed the hungry.

More people in the world need to stand up for what they believe in, and give things to people in need. For example, my temple helps support innocent Israeli terror victims. Many believe that those who have bigotry forced upon them aren’t in need of help, but my temple and I believe that these people do need help to be able to live their normal lives again. This is showing integrity, and giving things to those in need of help. By showing integrity and charity, you can make a difference in people lives, and perhaps the world.

Integrity and charity are involved in everyone’s life somehow. I believe that even by giving someone, at lunch, a snack who doesn’t have lunch is an act of charity because one is helping another in need. These beliefs have shaped who I am as a person. I am proud to say that I do acts of charity and stand up for what I believe in. I believe in integrity, to stand up for what you believe in, and charity, generous actions to those in need. This I believe.