Kevin - Plano, Texas

Please Note: I wrote this paper for school, and then decided to post it here.

I believe in procrastination. Procrastination is a part of my everyday life. Whether I’m putting off my homework until eleven, watching TV instead of working on a project, or typing an entire essay during 2nd period on the day it’s due (not this one of course), it seems like I’m always putting things off until the last minute. People always tell me that this is a bad thing, but I’m not so sure. There is no greater rush for a high school student than working at breakneck speed to finish a project that is due the next period. This creates such an intense focus that it often causes me to do my best work. In fact, as I sit here typing this essay, my mind repeatedly wanders off to God knows where, because, subconsciously, it knows that I have much more time to write this paper. However, if I had procrastinated, my mind would be much more focused and the utterly meaningless sentence that precluded this one would not exist. In it’s place would be a wondrous sentence whose depth and intellect would only be matched by its own eloquence. Unfortunately, this is not the case, because, foolishly, I started this essay at 6:42 P.M. on Wednesday night.

I have also found that procrastination is a necessity for any English class. Had I read Huckleberry Finn in June instead of the final days of summer, I highly doubt that I would have passed the test. The entire book was still fresh on my mind when I walked into my 5th period on the first day of school, and I silently mocked the responsible kids who spread out the reading over the entire summer. When judgement day came, my teacher put up the grades at the front of the class, and I anxiously scrolled through the 60’s and 70’s until I found my 84 standing out like a diamond among mountains of coal. Procrastination proved itself once again.

Believe it or not, procrastination isn’t always the wondrous thing that I’ve just made it out to be (but mostly, it is). I have put off homework assignments a little too long, and I have suffered for it. But in my mind, homework isn’t the most important thing in the world. I would much rather be having fun outside, catching up with friends and family, or maybe just relaxing after a rough day. Everyone always tells me that work comes before play, but why? Shouldn’t life be more about living than working? Ralph Waldo Emerson stated in his “American Scholar” Speech”, that the scholar shouldn’t learn from books, but instead he should learn by living life. I don’t mean to belittle homework, I know that what I’m learning is important, and I know that homework is a good way to reinforce what I’ve learned. But to me, experiencing life is the most important thing a person can do, because we really don’t have much time to live. So basically, procrastination isn’t irresponsibility, it’s simply doing things in order of their importance.

I believe in procrastination, and hopefully, after reading this essay, you do too. I will leave you with the immortal words of the poster on my physics teacher’s wall. “If it weren’t for the last minute, nothing would get done around here.”