Support Our troops

Kent - Farmvillve, Virginia

I believe in our troops. These are the men and women who serve our country everyday and sacrifice their lives so that I may live freely. To those that have gone before me and those who will go after me to ensure that I may live happily in the USA. My heart goes out to not only them but to their families as well. These are men and women who are no longer a son of, daughter of, brother, sister of, husband of or wife of because they lost their lives fighting for me.

I have a personal connection with our military. My grandfathers served on our armed forces. My cousins served in the United States Army and spent time in North Korea. One of my good friends is currently serving in Afghanistan with the Marines. My brother recently got accepted into the Coast Guard Academy. With that comes four years of school and five years of service. I have strong tithes to our military and hold the highest respect for them.

Since the war on Terror began in March of 2003 there have been 679 killed in combat in Afghanistan. There have been 31,215 troops wounded. During his time in office, George Bush said “We’re taking action against evil people. Because this great nation of many religions understands, our war is not against Islam, or against faith practiced by the Muslim people. Our war is a war against evil. This is clearly a case of good versus evil, and make no mistake about it.. good will prevail.” These men and women support the cause in fighting for freedom.

I believe that it is important to support our troops. They are fighting because they are proud of our country and what it stands for. It is always important to remember the people who have gone before us to help our country have the freedoms and liberties that we so often take for granite. Serving our country is a choice each individual chooses to make and deserves our full support. If we are so privileged to live in this great nation then we should show our support by standing behind our troops and our leaders. Living in America provides many opportunities that people in other countries do not have. I believe that in part it is because of our men and women who have died to help make our country a better place.

I’d like to take this opportunity to say thank you. A thank you to the men and women who are currently overseas fighting for freedom. You go and lay it out on the line everyday and often the only times you get remembered are on Federal holidays. I do not believe that this should be the case. We must take each opportunity we are given to pay respect to where it is due. We must never forget the lives that were lost for us to have the opportunities we have today. We must remember families of fallen soldiers and keep them in our prayers daily. For this country is truly the land of the free and the home of the brave.