The Music In Me

Jocelyn - Northfield, Minnesota

I hear the music starting. I feel the melody flowing from my ear buds to my ears pumping the rhythm throughout my whole body.

Music is my life. When I leave my house and I make sure I haven’t forgotten anything: my iPod is in my Top 5 along with my cell phone, keys, lip gloss, and bobby pins.

I don’t know what I would do without music. Music plays a big part in my life. One of the things it affects is my mood. I listen to different types of music according to what my mood is like. If I am happy I put on songs with lots of rhythm like hip hop or rap. If I’m sad, I put on some slow songs, songs played on guitars, pianos etc. Listening to different types of music also works when I want to be in a certain mood. If I would like to be excited or need confidence for something, I will play a song like Untouched by The Veronicas or Supermassive Black Hole by Muse. When I feel like relaxing, something like classics work, or orchestra instruments are perfect.

My dad has told me “Memories are preserved in music.” We were remembering moments with different songs, I agree with him. When I play music and I’m doing something, and later on I hear that song again, I remember what I was doing. Just recently we were listening to Outfield, a popular group when my dad was in his 20’s. I always remember my whole family in our car, our windows rolled down and our hair flying in the wind. But mostly it reminds me of the beach in California. We’d be on our way to Laguna Beach listening to my dad’s songs. It made me feel whole inside just enjoying time with my family.

Music is also a way to express myself. It’s like recording my feelings into the music. Music can be my personal diary that interprets my thoughts. It’s the voice of my emotions. Music is my identity.

Music motivates me in so many ways. When I listen to it a flash of images flow through my head. It feels as if my heart was beating alongside the drums. The music fills my heart and sends the notes throughout my body. It is an indescribable emotion I feel. I believe music is empowering.