Family Bonding

Marisa - Las Vegas, New Mexico

Every time my mother, my sister, and I, ate dinner together my sister and my mom ate one thing and I ate something else. To me they ate really weird things like cabbage with hamburger meat and sauerkraut. I always ate a P.B.& J or Mac and Cheese. Pretty normal to me. I always tried stuff that they ate, but I never liked it. I felt left out sometimes because what I ate was different. Over a period of time I started to really like their food and I enjoyed it more than the stuff that I ate before.

I started to like the food that they ate when I was in about the 5th grade. One day I just really wanted to try cabbage and hamburger meat, even though I really hadn’t liked it the last time I tried it. I tried the food because I didn’t want to be different from them anymore and I thought it was time for me to try something new. And stick with it, too.

I can remember the bitter smell of cabbage in the bowl right next to mine. The way the hamburger meat and cabbage was cut up looked a little strange to me. The sound of the cabbage being fried in the big pan sounded like a bunch of little pebbles falling onto the cement.

The taste of the silky cabbage landing on my tongue and the taste of the little crumbs of hamburger meat going into my mouth couldn’t have tasted any better.

Now that I think about it, food has really brought us together as a family and has made me feel like we have more in common. Our relationship is a lot better and we talk more. I still eat the stuff that I used to eat but not as much. Before I started eating what my family ate, we always argued about what I was going eat if they were eating something I didn’t like. It was difficult and stressful. I also felt left out of the family. Now that I have been eating the same food that my mother and my sister eat, I feel a lot more involved and we also get along much better then we did.

The other night I looked across the table and I didn’t miss the Mac and Cheese, or bologna, or peanut butter sandwiches. There was cabbage and hamburger meat, sauerkraut, ketchup and mayonnaise. There were my mom, my sister and I. The food that used to seem strange to me is now just an ordinary meal.