Failure Won’t Keep You Down

David - Brookline, Massachusetts

How would you feel if you were a high school student and just failed a test? Of course, you would be scared to death. You would feel like you were falling down a staircase and you would also feel like it was over for you, but really, you shouldn’t feel this way. Like other have said, “If you fall down, just stand up again.” Your life is a road. If you work hard, you can always reach your goal, dream or your success point. You won’t be lazy or be a failure. That’s life. Failing a test is not a big deal. If you fail this time, it doesn’t mean you are going to fail for the rest of your life. If you study harder next time, you will get a good grade, so don’t worry. You can conquer your blockade. Speaking of this, I can’t forget that in my own life I had this problem too, and it happened before I came to the U.S.

When I was 6th grade, my English was really bad. There was an English test about to come. I thought I didn’t need to study that hard because it was easy and I could pass it. When the grades come out, I was shocked. I couldn’t believe I got a 69 on the test. I was also scared that my mother was going to ground me for life, but I had to give the test to her because my English teacher wanted my parent to sign it. I had no choice. When I got home, I gave my mom the test and I was ready for her to yell at me. The thing was, she didn’t yell because she knew yelling to a child was not a good thing and my grade might be even lower next time. She knew what I thought. She said to me, “Everyone in his/her lifetime may experience this same situation. Even the people who are really smart fall, but keep standing up even thought they keep falling down.” I was shocked about what she told me. She also said, “Failing a test isn’t important. The important thing is what you going to do next.” When the next test came, I studied very hard, and I got an 85 on it. At least that wasn’t bad for me because at that time, my English was horrible. I could never forget what my mom told me. She told me a lot; she changed my whole life. I believe if you fail, it doesn’t mean you have already died. You can stand up again and walk to your success point until the day you have truly died.

So when you have trouble, just like me, conquer it. Don’t be afraid because you have the power. When you fail a test, is not a big deal. Don’t be afraid, study harder next time, and it won’t happen again. When you feel lost, finding your way out is just like what you do when fall down; stand up again and you will find your way. I believe that if you walk straight on your life road, you will find your success point and if you lose your way on your life road, you have the ability to find your way out.