With Faith

Anthony - Bedford, New York

I believe in faith. Without faith, I don’t think anything would be possible. Faith is a big word in my vocabulary because with faith you can chase your dreams and probably achieve them. Also this is a very bold word and could make anything happen. Oh, I got the perfect example for you.

This actually happened about four years ago. I was in a basketball game and it was the championship game and we were down by a lot of points. We needed some points, but I kept playing hard and hustling as hard as possible. All we needed was some faith and a lot of effort. It was late in the 3rd quarter and we were on a run coming back very slowly but we were pacing to victory. My dad (the coach) had called a time out and he designed a play. We came back on the court and we had a bundle faith and knew the play would work out how we planned. We started by scoring four points. We came back on defense and I intercepted a pass to score, creeping behind the leading team by 2 points. The other team had scored 3 points off of a foul but we came back and scored 2 more to increase our lead. There were only 30 seconds until we moved on into the 4th quarter. We let the clock run out and we were trailing by 3 with the scoreboard flashing 23 to 20.

We entered the 4th quarter and we had tied the score 23 to 23 in a flash with 5:15 minutes to play. We called time out and we had made a play to stop the other team from scoring and have us score 2 points to take the lead. When we came back out and we stopped them and we scored. The play worked. We only had 2:30 to play and we were winning by 2. the other team inbounded the ball and rushed up the court and happened to score in a hurry. 1:45 left to play and it was tie. In my mind as I brought the ball up court, I new this game was going down to the wire as the clocked ticked down to 59 seconds. When we shot, we missed, and we had turned over the ball to the other team. They came down and scored with 30 seconds left to play in the game. We came down and we wasted the clock down to 12 seconds. I had the ball and I drove to the basket, I got fouled the ball went in and I had 1 free throw to win the game with 9 seconds left. I had made the free throw and we were up by 1 with 8 seconds left to go. They inbounded and they rushed up the court. We stopped them from scoring and we won the game! I was so proud of myself, we were down by 15 points we came back in the 4th quarter and we won all because of he single word faith. I think if your doing anything with a little bit of faith, anything is possible. There are many lessons I have learned here excluding this one but the most important thing is you can chase your dreams, play in big league sports, be a computer programmer if you wanted to, but it all starts with faith in yourself. Also I have used this lesson in basketball games. Even if your down by a lot of points you can still have an equal shot at winning the game. This I believe.