Fairness

Dion - Bedford, New York
Themes: equality, sports

I believe that nepotism is wrong and unfair. It’s annoying and in sports not everyone gets a fair shot. I also believe that also in sports family and friends should not come first in terms of where they play and how long they play there in the game. In terms of trying out too, where I live if the person’s dad is the coach and your trying out for the same position as them, you’re going to get cut even if your are better then the coaches kid. In terms of playing time, and you are in the coaches position, he or she is going to get more playing time then you.

An event like this happened to me not too long ago. The setting was the Westchester County Center Basketball Tournament in White Plains New York. My team goes to this tourney every year to play teams from across and all over Westchester.

The first game we played was against Peekskill. Every team that we knew from school that was playing in the tournament thought that Peekskill was going to kill us because of past losses they had suffered. We managed to pull out an eleven point win. But the problem happened in a week. The next team were going to play was Shrub Oak. They were big. At the end of the first quarter we were getting crushed. So the coach put in the backups to get more playing time which I was okay with. We have nine kids on our team so for the fifth spot on the floor he was going to split the time among the five starters. But he didn’t. His son played the whole rest of the game.

I got in once more that game, for thirty seconds. Even when the coach’s son was tired and wasn’t getting back on defense, he still never took him out. His son had one hustle play where he ran back and stripped the ball out of the shrub oak guard’s hands. The coach was saying things like “guys that’s the kind of hustle I want to see! I want you guys to play more like him!” Even though us other starters were playing harder and hustling more. He usually says things like good job to his kid and says it much more to him then the other kids on the team. He likes certain kids on the team better and he shows it. One time before a game, he was telling us we were going to run a certain play at the start at the game. I am a point guard, which means I bring the ball up the court and call plays and I am supposed to see the floor. I am considered good especially at my position because I am the fastest, best rebounder, passer. I am the best ball handler and I see the court the best. One of the coach’s favorite kids volunteered me to play center because I was faster at the play. If I had volunteered him, he would have said no. we scored maybe about ten points that quarter. The next quarter we scored about thirty…..I went in at point guard. We almost lost that game because of stupid decisions by our coach of putting people at certain positions. The whole rest of the season I was playing power forward or center which is dumb. Other players on our team even said that I should have been playing point guard instead of him. If the player can realize it so should the coach.

The same type of thing had happened to my brother but in baseball. It was the same guy caching and another guy too. The other coach also had a kid on the baseball team. My brother was obviously better then the other second basemen on the team. The coach told my brother that he had to show that he wanted to be the starting second basemen. Whenever my brother came to bat, he got hits, drew walks and did situational hitting. He played better defense too. But the coach was just playing the kids who he was good friends with his parents. The same thing went down with my brother trying out for a different team. Before the season or even the tryouts had even started, the coaches had the team set up. He didn’t take my brother. He took the kids that had been playing in the organization for four or five years. They took all those kids instead of my brother regardless of their skill level.

I think that it comes down to where you live, it’s a matter of you knowing people and their families. My mom says it’s all politics. It really isn’t fair and if that I the reason you don’t get playing time or get on a team, it is really frustrating and hard to get over.