Shelby - Mabelvale, Arkansas

I believe that faith in God can get you through anything in life. Everybody always goes through tough situations in life, but if God is with you it will go a lot smoother. When I got baptized it changed the whole aspect on my choices of tough situations.

When I’m in different situations I would say, “Is this what God wants me to do?”

One situation was when I went to the movies, with a bunch of friends. My friends all wanted to leave and sneak into another movie and also leave the theater and go to Shakey’s. My mom told me as clear as possible, “Do not at any circumstances leave this movie or theater.” My friends kept pressuring me to say yes. I thought to myself, God would want me to obey my parents, because if you did leave the theater anything could happen at any time. Finally, I spoke up for myself and said no to everyone. In the bible, Jeremiah 7:24, it says, “But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubborn inclinations of their hearts. They went backward and not forward.” Even though some went backward, I chose to go forward.

Before this event I thought it would be fun to go get some ice cream or sneak into another movie. It didn’t matter. All I knew was that I didn’t want my friends to be mad at me. I believe, when it comes down to the end, it doesn’t matter what others think, you just need to make the right choice, your decision, not others. A faithful Christian doesn’t care what others think they just follow their heart and that is exactly what I did.

One value I showed was responsibility by following the rules and staying in the boundaries of my parents. I had self-control by being fearless and speaking up instead of disobeying my parents. By being pressured by my friends I felt cautious because if I did go I could be harmed because you never know who is out there and what could happen. Most of all, I had faith because God walked with me step by step and led me towards the way.

Now I know that you should always obey your parents. Mostly, think to yourself, “Is this what God would want me to do?” If so, your outcome will always be the right choice. When I think back on this day, it makes me feel good and proud of myself because I didn’t let my friends pull me into their decision. One verse I will always remember is Deuteronomy 5:16, “Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you.” I am so glad I followed my parents and God led me through it the whole way.